Our Trek To Hawaii With Baby In Tow

Thinking back on this now, as I sit in my pajamas on the couch, I laugh about this story. However, in the moment and the days that led up to this move, I was doing everything but laughing. Tears of joy for finally moving out of our hotel room, tears of sadness because we were leaving dear friends, and tears of frustration because you don't realize how much stuff you have until it comes time to pack it up.

To start, I should say that this chaos was entirely my fault, because I waited until the week of our move to start packing up what was left of our stuff. Luckily, we shipped our big household goods so that wasn't a big deal, but the clothes and a million baby toys made for a completely different situation. We seriously ended up buying three extra large suitcases just to make everything else fit. It was a nightmare and a half but we got it all packed the morning we were due to check out of our hotel. Obviously l like to cut it close, right? ;)

For those of you who don't know, we were in Virginia for BOLC, which stands for Basic Officer Leader Course. My husband had to complete it before we could move so we spent about four months there. The day of graduation is when everyone goes there separate ways so we checked out of our hotel only to move to another hotel for the next 48 hours before our flight. So when Saturday morning rolled around, we were up at 3:00 AM getting our ten suitcases, carseat, portable crib, and everything else out the door.

When we get to the airport at 4:00 AM, we were stoked because not only did we get there early, but James was still exhausted so we had a moment of peace. It definitely helped that the big day of our move was here, and we were moving to Hawaii! However, James woke up, peed all over himself, and we snapped right back to reality. Oh, and did I mention that the United check-in station didn't open until 5:00 AM? So we pretty much just sat there for an hour wishing we could have gotten an extra hour of sleep. It was definitely off to a rough start. All I could keep telling myself was that at the end of the day we would be in Hawaii, and we wouldn't have to travel anywhere else for a little while.

Flash forward- we check in, dump our 13867633 pounds of luggage, and sit at our gate. We were flying from Richmond to Chicago and from there to Hawaii so we were in for an extremely long day. Don't ask me why that was the connecting flight because I still don't know. That's the Army though, am I right? When we finally board our flight to Honolulu, we were ready to breathe and enjoy the fact that by the end of the day, this would all be over. Plus at that point I had downed shots of espresso so I was ready to take on the challenge.

Much to our surprise James slept for a majority of the flight, and when he wasn't sleeping Nick was keeping him occupied. So now that I think about it I basically just watched movies on my computer the whole flight! Maybe I should be asking Nick how he enjoyed those nine hours then, hm? For the most part, that part was fine minus the fact that James peed all over himself for the second time in ten hours and go figure I forgot to pack two extra outfits for him! Honestly I thought I was doing good for remembering one extra set of clothes, so there's that. Long story short, the flight wasn't horrible because they had plenty of Diet Coke and food so we survived.

Finally we land in Honolulu. We grabbed all of our luggage, Nick went to get the rental car, and we waited for a friend to come pick us up because our stuff wouldn't all fit in one vehicle. I didn't mention that our portable crib was lost in the shuffle but at that point I think we were just excited to be off of a plane so that was the least of our worries. We got settled into another hotel for the week before our house opened up, and our rental suffered an accident from a hit and run driver, so the first few days were off to an interesting start. Looking back a couple months later all of that doesn't seem so terrible, but definitely don't ask me to embark on that journey again for a while! I think all in all traveling with a baby is tough, but my hot mess of a family definitely made our first big move very memorable.

I hope this makes any other mama reading this feel better about traveling with a little one, or at least get a chuckle out of my personal chaos! I'm probably not great at passing along travel tips, but if you need moral support or have any questions I'd love to hear them!

Until next time,


  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon
  • Black YouTube Icon


Brittany Leigh Ball by Brittany Ball.